Monday, October 11, 2010

National Portrait Gallery

After classes today I thought I would check out the National Portrait Gallery. One, because I worked at the US's version, and Two, because a lot of the other galleries I wanted to check out today are closed on Mondays.
The portrait gallery was impressive-of course their portraits would be older than ours. Although impressive, the portraits of British Royalty-and semi-royalty become repetitive. Also, I found it difficult to be interested in who the people are simply because it's not my country's history. I really enjoyed reading the labels this summer at Smithsonian's Portrait Gallery because it was my nation's history, and I recognized the names and the places that were named after them-also I got paid to stand there! Even the modern/contemporary portraits were people I had never heard of-and half of them were "sirs" -found that interesting.

After the portrait gallery I grabbed a cup of coffee, and took the bus home, but decided to get off on Regent Street because the stop said there was a Toy Store. I was intrigued. London's version of FAO Schwartz.
I headed up to Oxford St, and then after a little shopping, headed home.

Interesting architecture features at the tops here 

Apparently picture taking in museums is not normal here. This is all I can give you of the Portrait Gallery

 Regent St.
 Bear in the window of a Ferrari store 

In the toy store. tons of bears. so cute. 

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, they make we want to visit England even more! My best friend is from England, and because of her I'm in LOVE with English toys; they are lush!

    ReplyDelete