Saturday, October 23, 2010

firemen to greyhounds

I had quite a random Saturday, but I enjoyed myself. First I went to check out one of the local fire stations because they were planning a strike today. I was hoping to catch them walking out. I found a bunch of guys and some firemen yelling at the people hired to take over the fire brigade during the strike as they pulled the trucks out of the lot. It was quite interesting and they were all fairly angry which was fun, but it was definitely hard to get shots. In order to get a view of their faces yelling I would have been run over by the trucks, and some other photographers got really close to the trucks , so they were in the way. It was fun though, and I got one or two shots. It was good practice.

After that, I took a train out to Hersham, England- a suburb town of London. I walked about 40 minutes to a Greyhound kennel that takes in retired racing dogs, and has a sanctuary for dogs who can not be placed in homes. They invite visitors in the middle of the day to come walk the dogs. It was quite a strange setup, but after checking your ID they handed over a dog to you to walk in some fields they have. I walked three lovely greyhounds. Two big guys who kicked up the grass after they went to the bathroom-thought that was pretty funny. It's amazing, I pet them and everything, but my allergies did not bother me at all. Maybe because I'm outside? or I'm just allergic to my own dog.... it is encouraging though. 

When I got back, I was pretty exhausted, so I slept for a few hours-exciting Saturday night. I'm planning my trip to Berlin for next weekend, so I thought I would try to organize that, and figure out what I want to see.

an overall shot of the station 

waving his umbrella at the truck and yelling

They are angry these people are breaking the strike 



a fire truck parked. I read that some were situated around the city just incase. Of course they still had people to respond. I am kind of unclear if the people in the trucks above are part of the London Fire Brigade or the outsiders coming in to take over for the day

This one's for Kristen

Couldn't really take pictures of the greyhounds while I was holding their leashes. They weren't the best at walking on a leash so they pulled a lot. I think this one was Timmy. He had gotten a home, but they took him back because he was too big and "passed gas" but they were feeding him crap. Some people should just not own dogs.

and I almost got caught in a bad rainstorm, but only got a drizzle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment