Sunday, October 31, 2010

Berlin day 2!

So, did not realize it was daylight savings here... woke up a bit confused, but that's okay. got an extra hour of sleep.  I started my morning off with the Checkpoint Charlie Museum. It had lots of information, very interesting. After Checkpoint Charlie, I decided I would check out the East Side Gallery, which is a section of the Berlin wall that was left standing, and artists in the early 90s took a section and painted it. It wasvery cool.  East Berlin is pretty shady though, so didn't do anything else in that area. From there I went to see the Neue Synagogue. the actual synagogue was destroyed in the war, and was not rebuilt. The facade and the front half of the building are still there. the dome of the building had to be rebuilt. The synagogue has actually been there since around the 1800s, and it was huge, seating around 3,000 people. the last service was in 1942 in a smaller section of the building.
After the synagogue I thought I would check out a street in Berlin that was supposed to have shopping. well, stores are actually closed on Sundays, so that didnt happen. I walked from there, through parts of the Tiergarten to a street market I saw from the train on the way. It was an antique market, and they had very interesting stuff, lots of dishware. not much I could really take back with me. It was pretty cool. the one pair of earrings I did like were €2,000. yeah not happening.

After the street market I went back to the Brandenburg gate to do a little bit more of souvenier shopping, and then walked down Unter den Linden again, and found somewhere to eat. Had a delicious meal, and now Im back at the hostel , getting to bed early. have to get up at 4:30 am tomorrow. It was a short trip but I definitely crammed in quite a lot. If (aka when) I come back I want to check out some of the art museums and smaller galleries.

I'll be posting pictures the next few days. I took a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment