Saturday, September 18, 2010

First day in Wales

I headed off to Treorchy, Wales early this morning. Before I left for London, my Grandma shared with me my Grandfather's war stories. I'm in Wales because of him. He was stationed with a family here during the Second World War, and became great friends with one of the son's of the family. Their friendship lasted more than 40 years, and we have remained friends with his family. I wish they were both still here today to share my adventures with. I will share some of the stories later on once I am back in London.

After I arrived today, we took a drive up the hills that create the Rhonda Valley where Treorchy lies. My Uncle brought us up there 9 years ago, and I found out today that he would come up to the top of the hill almost everyday to have an ice cream cone and some tea or coffee. It was rewarding to revisit the site and to see the sheep, or the ancestors of the sheep that we fed 9 years ago with him. I also saw the site where his ashes were spread at the top of the hill.

It is great to see my family, and to explore and enjoy Wales.



   He was scattered about where those memorials are, but they were not there at the time.








Treorchy from the hills



                                the ice cream truck that Uncle Gordon frequented

4 comments:

  1. Wow - beautiful pictures & cute sheep! =P Looks like a great adventure. (I am currently in an emotional mood and the sentimentality of the post almost made me teary-eyed! Haha) I miss you! -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Kristen! sorry it made you teary-eyed!!
    hopefully you're not in that mood when I post some of the stories!!

    I miss you too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Grandpa would be so thrilled to know you are walking in his footsteps, per se. I'm sure Grandpa and Uncle Gordon are watching you right now. Love, from your Mom, and you did make me teary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) matt told me a story or so about your family in Wales. I hope you're having fun!! great pictures <3

    ReplyDelete