Friday, December 3, 2010

No need to be PC around the holidays

Growing up in NJ and close to New York there has always been a huge Jewish presence in my life. As I got older, people began to be more "politically correct" around the holidays so as not to insult or leave out our Jewish towns members. In the center of town we'd have a Christmas tree and a Menorah in December. It was always important in school music concerts to play a holiday song or both a Christmas and Hanukkah song.
I've noticed that in London there is no need for being "PC". There are no "Holiday trees" or Menorahs. It is Hanukkah right now, and you can not tell. I thought there must be some Jewish people living in London...but it did not seem like there were any at all. I figured since it was Hanukkah, I would be able to find a few special holiday foods in the grocery store, but I was wrong. Instead, there are already rows of Christmas goodies and Christmas dinner specials.

Yes, of course there are Jewish people in London, but they make up only 2% of the population-below Muslim and Hindu -by a lot. Compared to in New York where they are 12% of the population. The second largest population of Jewish people besides Israel.
(statistics from UK 2001 Census and wikipedia)

As I come to the end of this journey in London, I'm really beginning to notice the major differences between here and "home". For one, London is hugely diverse, but it has a different make-up than what I'm used to at home. I may have taken that Jewish section in the grocery store at home for granted, and of course the bagel shops and delis that I so enjoy.

I walked through the grocery story tonight on a mission to find potato pancakes -didn't quite find exactly what I was looking for, but they'll do. I am ready to see familiar things. Familiar brands, familiar foods. Going grocery shopping is always quite depressing- I'm not going to lie, I don't find British food that appetizing-there are only so many days I can have a shepards pie, so instead, I try to gather ingredients to make some of the foods I'm more familiar with- for example I got things to make BLTs today.

It's not that I don't like it here, but I got more of a culture shock than I expected. It's wrong to assume that since both country's speak English, that they are very similar. Yes, we're both modernized 'western' civilizations, but the UK is very different than the US. Traditions are different, words are different, food is different, ect.


Not sure I would find this at home-quite strong too. 

Closest I found to Potato pancakes...I would say they taste like Onion rings... 

Closest I could find to American Bacon :)

The Sandwich-a proper sandwich. Sorry, but I'm just going to say this, they do not know how to make sandwiches in England. Sandwiches here are thin and measly (think of what you get from Subway compared to a true Sub Shop). They don't put toppings or dressings on it either, and the bread is usually plain.
So here is my BLT. Delicious. and the potato things 

3 comments:

  1. Yup, no reason to be P.C. - BLT and potato pancakes for Hanukkah dinner. Are you sure that your Muslim friends won't be insulted? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And also, I have enjoyed following you around Europe, thanks for your FB entries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you- haha would not consider it a Hanukkah dinner....do not consider myself Jewish, it's just in my blood. I do like the food though and spending it with my family.

    ReplyDelete