Sunday, November 14, 2010

Athens!

Wow! I have done a lot in the past two days.
To start, my flight was delayed-seems to always happen to me when I'm really anxious to be somewhere. The plane was nice-they served food-no extra cost and had Greek music playing. cute.

got to the hostel at 4 am. and could hardly sleep, but still got an early start Saturday. When I stepped outside I was in awe-couldn't see much in the dark, but it was such a cute area.  My first stop was of course the Acropolis. Climbed up little back paths and finally made it up there. It was pretty incredible to see the ruins. just so old! 
After this I walked back down trying to find the Agora but instead I found the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Again, incredible and beautiful. I took the metro to the Agora-found it this time. also very cool. One of the buildings there was pretty intact and every location had tons of the stones just in piles. After the Agora, I walked along some of the shopping streets and then took a metro to the National Archeological Museum-which was closed :( I took a break for gelato and coffee and then eventually made my way back to the hostel. I took a little nap and then ended up going out for dinner and more ice cream with one of the girls in my room. We walked around Syntagma Square and adopted one of the many stray dogs. Her name was Herman (didn't realize at first it was a girl) and she had a messed up eye so we felt bad for her. Once we pet her she did not stop following us so we bought her some water. You will see a picture of her. I decided as much as I love Athens, I could not live here simply because my heart melts everytime I see one of the dogs. They are just too cute and really well behaved.

On to today... I started the morning with the Athens Street Market but I guess I went too early because it was not set up yet. I took the metro to Peirais which is  by the Sea. I did not have a map of the area but eventually I found a cute costal area, and walked along the beach. There were some people swimming still which was cool. This area was not touristy but had lots of restaurants for the locals. Around 3 I made my way back to the metro and then back to Athens. I found the street market, walked around that, and then found my way to the Roman Agora. After this, I headed back to the hostel for a much needed nap, and now I'm going to head out for my last meal here in Athens. yum!

okay, pictures will be posted all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment