Thursday, October 17, 2013

Roadtrip...final days

On Friday I got up early to drive to Kasteel De Haar, a castle close by to Utrecht. I am glad I went early because the grounds were fairly empty so I was able to get some great shots. The castle's history goes back to the middle ages, but it was restored and partially rebuilt in the 19th century. The tour was in Dutch, but they had audio guides to listen to in English while following the group tour. It was very informative and the rooms inside were beautiful but no photography was allowed. After the tour, I drove back to Utrecht and walked around the shopping areas. I visited the Dom (church), and ended up going to the movies because they had Monsters University playing in English which is harder to find in Germany. I had seen just about everything I was interested in seeing in Utrecht and I was pretty tired by this point in the trip. I had an early morning and a long day ahead of me.

Saturday morning was the fabric market. It takes place every Saturday morning and it was absolutely excellent. First stop was Starbucks while they were setting up. I spent almost 2 hours at the market because there was just so much to see and check out. The prices were cheap and a lot of things were marked down for the market. I had so many heavy bags by the time I was done, and my walk to the car was slightly difficult. I really wish there was something like this locally more often. When I was done, I checked out of the hostel and began driving home, with a couple stops on the way. First stop was Burg Eltz, a castle in Germany. It was quite out of the way, and I had to drive through a few small towns, but when I did finally find it, it was definitely worth it. This was the most impressive castle so far. It was built in a valley in the 12th century, and is still owned by a branch of the same family. It was just a quick stop because I still had a lot of driving ahead of me. My next stop was in Aschaffenberg near Frankfurt to check out another TK Maxx. I planned this stop just to give myself a break from driving.  From here, I had 2 more hours of driving and then I was home. Exhausted and ready for bed :)

Kasteel De Haar

Kasteel De Haar

Burg Eltz

 Burg Eltz

Links: 

No comments:

Post a Comment